La Lomita Chapel
Located near the banks of the Rio Grande, the lands of the La Lomita
or “little hill” district was donated in 1861 and used as farms and
ranches that supported the local Christian Oblate priests. The
site’s original chapel was built in 1865, and it was relocated to its
present site in 1899.
The Oblates were a group of priests who began traveling
along the Rio Grande in the 1800s to spread their beliefs to the area’s
Catholic residents. The “la lomita” or “little hill” area was home to
the farms and ranches that supported these priests. It is from this
area that the city of Mission derived its name. The La Lomita
area has been included in the National Register of Historic Places.